Thursday, August 20, 2009

little observers

It cracks me up how observant Carter is and how he doesn't seem to miss a thing! Graham seems to be on the same path, but he just doesn't have the words yet :)
Carter:
*We were headed to buy school supplies today. I told him we were going to Wal-mart, and he said, "Mom, is that the one that has the circle thing on it? (with circling hand gestures) No, wait. That's Target."
*In the car a while back he saw a big bird flying and said "Look, mom! A eagle. (pause) Nope, that's a heron."
*We needed just a few groceries today, so instead of driving all the way across town to Wal-mart, I told Carter that we'd go to Lueken's instead (the grocery store pretty close to our house but way more expensive). He spotted it as we were about to turn and said, "There's Lueken's mom! They bring your groceries out for you. On a cart that they drive like daddy does the stroller when we have to go up a curb." This grocery store doesn't allow their carts to go into the parking lot, so they have these carts with big back wheels that they tilt back to push and take your groceries to your car for you.
*After the ped. visit the other day, Carter asked if we could go to see Jon at work. I said no because I thought Jon had a busy day. Carter replied, "He's probably doing a bi-ops-y!" I spaced the word like he pronounced with the first syllable held out long.
Graham:
Not quite the verbal skills of Carter, of course, but he's catching onto more and more each day. He has taken notice that his food is cut up and we have "whole" pieces. He will cry and fuss until I give him something that is a big piece for him to bite. If I walk to the basement stairs to make sure the gate is shut and then walk away, he starts crying to go down to play. And, of course, he cries when we walk into his room because he thinks it's sleep time.
There are things that he doesn't cry about, but he laughs to show me what he does like. Such as the fact that I don't slow down for the massive speed bump that we have to go over daily, and we fly over it. Both boys love it! And he gets pretty excited when I take him into the bathroom for a bath.
I'm sure at some point he'll be chatting so much that I'll miss his non-verbal days, but right now I can't wait to hear what all he has on his mind!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Carter is at a fun age where they observe EVERYTHING! I am shocked at times what Jack remembers and says. Some days I just wish for a quiet car ride.

3boysmom said...

Carter says the cutest things! It still shocks me at how much three year olds absorb.

Trust me, one day you'll be begging for some quiet. Connor wakes up and falls asleep talking. I'm glad he likes to tell me things, but goodness sometimes I don't need to hear every detail.