Monday, December 28, 2009

flights I just assume forget

I don't need to rehash every moment of the awful travel we had getting to OKC and home, but I'll pick some highlights! Getting out of town we were delayed in Bemidji due to a mechanical issue. That 2 hour delay caused us to miss our connection by about 10 minutes. So we spent an extra 5 hours in the Minneapolis airport. But, that whole thing was nothing compared to our return trip! We planned to return the morning of Christmas Eve. Our flight into Bemidji was canceled twice that day, so we stayed in OKC until the next afternoon. So, on Christmas Day we went to the airport to get home. Our OKC flight was delayed, so we missed our connection in Minneapolis (again by minutes). The boys and I arrived at an interesting Ramada at 1 am and slept for a few hours (all in the same bed!). I got up ready to roll and got us through the insane airport. I finally broke down when our flight was once again canceled. I was done!! I called Jon and started crying. Carter started crying saying, "I don't want to sleep in a hotel again. I want to see what Santa brought." That lasted about 2 minutes, and I said, "Forget it. Carter, let's go, we're renting carseats, a car, and we're driving!" I rented some nasty carseats and a 4 wheel drive SUV, and we drove home in the snow. The cherry on top of it all? I went to the Bemidji airport the next day to return our rental, get my car, and our luggage, and after digging my car out of its spot--they couldn't find my luggage! We're still waiting for its arrival.....
Watching the airport tram in the kid play area in Minneapolis on our way to OKC.
Graham was so tired he was giddy.
Our Schlotsky's sandwich Christmas dinner in the OKC airport on the way home. I'm trying to smile. I knew if I lost it, so would the boys.
I finally broke out a few Christmas toys. We became popular quickly!
I have to say the matching jammies made my boys look adorable, and other travelers were so sweet to them (and helpful to me :)
An empty airport is a great place for them to roam.

In total, I aquired $65 in meal vouchers and hotel room voucher. And, in the end spent a crazy amount of money driving home. But, I got home and my boys were troopers! I do wish I had a picture of me at midnight on Christmas pushing Carter in a wheelchair while I was wearing Graham and pulling a carry-on through the airport to catch a shuttle to our hotel.

3 comments:

Nikkie said...

I am so sorry! Planes, Trains and Automobiles? If you haven't seen it....you need to rent it. We loved seeing you guys. Hope you are rested.

Becky said...

What a story you have to tell! I hope you made it home safely and that Santa had visited Carter. It was great seeing you and your boys. They are adorable.
Loved the jammies in the airport. Have a Happy New Year!

mommy2alex said...

Oh Carrie, that's just awful. You are such a trooper! I hope you've recovered! {hugs}