Wednesday, April 7, 2010

oh, the things my sweet Carter says

Since Carter's been learning about Jesus dying on the cross, he's asked me a few questions about how old people are when they die, what happens when you die, etc. It's not morbid or constant, rather kid curiosity and at random moments. For example, "How old are you mom?" 33 "Wow, you're old. Are you going to die soon?" No, I hope to be really, really, really old. "Oh, then who will be my mom?"

But, today in the car on the way to swimming he threw this at me:
Carter: Mom, what if you died while you were driving a car, and your foot stuck on the pedal and your car just kept going? Wouldn't that be funny?

Me: Umm no. That wouldn't be too funny.
Carter: Yes it would (laughing). You car would just keeeep gooooing! (with some winding hand gestures)

And, on the way home from swimming:
I've been trying to figure out how to explain what a person's soul is. I've said that it's your thoughts, what you feel, ideas, etc.
Carter: Do you feel anything when you're dead?
Me: Nope.
Carter: 'Cause when you die Jesus takes your feelings to heaven. He cuts your head off and takes it to heaven.
Me: No! He doesn't. Your body stays here. Remember, it's how you feel in your heart, your thoughts and ideas that go to heaven with Jesus.
Carter: Nope. He cuts your head open and takes them.

I repeated this conversation to Jon, and Carter was laughing. It sounds so morbid, but I think he's genuinely wondering. He knows that dead people or things don't breathe anymore and aren't alive. He's a curious little guy!

3 comments:

Laura said...

It's a difficult concept for them to understand. Jaycee asks those questions all the time. I had to try to explain it to Chantz when he was little after his daddy died, and his grandmother had him all confused and scared. I still don't know if he completely understands it and he's almost 10.
There's a scene in the movie "Ghost," that shows the soul leaving the body. I had a Sunday school teacher show us once to explain how it works. Another way to explain it is with a glove.
Your body is the glove and your hand inside is the soul. While your soul is in it your body is alive and can move. When your hand is outside of the glove it's lifeless. I don't know if that makes sense, but it helped me understand it when I was little.

Nikkie said...

this is cute. I'm passing it on to the kids. Reminds me of some of the conversations we had when they were small. :)

Dalton's Mom said...

Oh how we miss our sweet carter and all he has to say...and of course we miss the rest of his family too!