Friday, February 19, 2010

over protective?

I never thought I was a super over protective mom, but three things happened today that are making me wonder if I am. And 2 of the 3 events managed to offend people. Do these make me over protective or just a normal mommy?

1) I wouldn't give the portrait lady my kids' birthdates. She was pretty insistant about it saying I'd get special coupons for pictures around their birthdays. I said that their info didn't need to be in their system. She said, "It's only accessible to us." I replied, "Well, I don't know who "us" is" and off we went to lunch.

2) At lunch the boys got a coupon for an ice cream, so after they'd eaten I went to get it. I told Carter, "I'll watch you from here while I order." Well, I couldn't see them, so I went over to get them. An older lady saw this and said, "Oh, I'll watch them for you." I replied, "Sorry, I don't know you." We got our ice cream and came back to the table. I said to her, "I'm sorry. I just moved here recently and don't really know people well enough to do that. But, you're actually the second person to offer." The lady said, "Well, you're the first to ever turn me down."

3)Our neighbors across the street were outside playing. Graham was napping, but I geared Carter up to let him go play with them. Our driveway is pretty long and slippery with snow. As Carter walked out I was saying, "don't forget the steps are slippery...wait for Amy to cross the street..." He looked so sweet heading over there by himself carrying his snow shovel to play. I was watching him out the window, and our contractor came in and asked if there were tears sending Carter out to play. No tears, just watching.

When it comes to taking care of my kids, I don't worry too much about offending people. Of course, I'm not out right rude, but I never minded telling strangers "Please don't touch him" when the boys were infants (I could blame the pediatrician for some of my quirky requests:)

2 comments:

Nikkie said...

not over protective at all! just a great mom.

mommy2alex said...

Nope, you're just a good momma!!